SACRIFICES OF MOTHERHOOD

Right now my best friend is in California on a “business trip” – I didn’t know business included 2 wineries before noon! I want a business trip! Granted she did have to leave her 6 month old home with daddy and grandma for the week – and while I know that was really hard for her, I’m not feeling so bad now! Hell, I would volunteer for the next business trip and I don’t even work there!

After I got that text message I started feeling down that we don’t live in a more exciting area. Not so much for me but for our kid(s). I grew up in New Jersey. I had New York, Philadelphia, Boston and the shore all within a drive of me. It was wonderful! We were always on the go, never searching for things to do. Now I live in Kansas (that’s another blog), and for fun I have a plastic pool in my back yard for my daughter to play in and a corner town bar that serves beer out of jars. I do love where we live I just wish it were more exciting.

My husband is a Midwest boy so when I try to explain to him that I feel like we’re missing out on life here he doesn’t understand it. It’s been an ongoing battle for years, but because I love him dearly I traded in my manolo blahnik’s for aerosols and sneakers. I can’t blame all that on him; I have to say motherhood has really changed my fashion too. I always thought I would be that stylish mom, the one everyone wants to dress like. That’s not exactly what has happened. I’ve been tainted by magazine covers and TV shows with stylish moms wearing the latest fashions and heals while grocery shopping. GET REAL. I think its great that Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice can wear platform heals and skin tight clothing while carrying her youngest son, but that’s just not reality of a suburban mom.

These days my choice of clothing is whatever is semi clean, no stains preferable and not covered in dog hair. Some mornings I’m even pulling a shirt off the floor and smelling it before deciding that it’s just going to have to do. I wouldn’t exactly be looking on the next cover of Style Magazine for my picture!

Yes, motherhood and marriage does come with an awful lot of sacrifice and change. And yes, I do miss the upbeat life I once had. But I wouldn’t change anything for the world. I have an amazing daughter who is the light of my life and a husband who loves me when I’m at my worst. While living in Kansas isn’t exactly Sex in the City and we may not have a beach within 1700 miles of us, life here is good.



0 comments:

Post a Comment