Temper Tantrums Plus

It’s begun. You know that stage where if we don’t get what we want we throw our body down on the ground and kick and scream. This is commonly referred to as a tantrum. We have all seen them take place in stores and public places. You try not to look at the mom as you walk by thinking "get a hold of your kid." That USED to be me. Quick to judge how the mom is handling the tantrum, while my head is down trying to ignore the throw down taking place on isle 12. Now – I am that mom whose child is having the melt down. It’s funny how the circle is starting to come back around now that I’m a mom. You never think that will be you - or if you do have a child that starts this behavior you think you know exactly how to handle it; I will be that mom who nips it in the butt right away and it only lasts for 2 seconds, ends with hugs and kisses and a "I’m sorry mommy." Oh, my dreams aren’t even that good to me! Our first tantrum started in all places - Walmart! My list included laundry detergent and diapers - that’s it! And that is how quickly a tantrum can come on. This particular one started over a toy. As we were walking down the diaper isle my daughter spotted a toy she wanted to play with, reached out of the cart and grabbed it...only this particular toy was not on a shelf but belonged the baby sitting in the grocery cart next to us! Mortified i grabbed it back from her and apologized to the other mom. After trying to explain to a 13 month old that we do not take toys from other kids, she proceeded to scream and pull her hair. Im not talking a little im tried scream, no no, this scream was more like i was pulling her fingernails off one by one! As I am seeing red, red being the color of my face at the time, I think I only have two options. Run like hell out of Walmart, put her in the car and go home, or try to address what’s going on, and proceed to checkout. What would you do? I ran like hell!

0 comments:

Post a Comment