FALSE ALARM

This morning at 230 we had our first false alarm. I won’t go into great detail but I thought my water broke. This would mean that Emma would be here 6 weeks early. My worrying about if she would be alright kept me up until 430, that and my house – what a mess! Yes this is a reoccurring theme in my blog. The girl’s bedroom is nowhere near put together or organized, my bedroom – ugh its become the catch-all for everything and anything, the laundry really needed to get done, and I didn’t have anything packed and ready for the hospital yet. But wait – no contractions? Weird so I did a quick search on the internet and I came to find out that its not uncommon for your water to break and labor not to start for up to 24 hrs. I’ll admit I’ve never heard of that but WebMD said it then it must be true!

After panic mode for 2 hrs I finally fell back asleep. Woke up to my husband leaving for work and we agreed that if contractions were to start I would call him right away and he would come get me. Ok that’s out of the way now what? Call the dr – right. The conversation went like this:

Nurse: Hello can I help you

Me: Um I’m a patient of Dr so and so and I think my water broke this morning I need to see the Dr

Nurse: We aren’t equipped for that in our office I need you to go to the hospital and check in. They can tell you if your water broke and will page the Dr. Once you check in if your water did break they will not release you, even if you aren’t having contractions.

Me: Um ok – I guess we’re going to the hospital

Hang up call my husband and tell him what the nurse just said. We decided that since I wasn’t having any contractions we were going to wait until he got home for lunch and go. In the mean time I had 3 hrs to clean the house, pack a suitcase, find some NB clothes to take with us, put the car seat in the car, get a crib mattress and vacuum the house – NO PROBLEM! Got just about everything done (I’m good) and started to vacuum when my sister called.

My sister: Um what are you doing? Shouldn’t you be in the hospital?

Me: No I haven’t even had a contraction yet I’m fine! Besides I need to finish cleaning the house.

My sister: I feel like I need to remind you that may be having a baby today.

Me: This is so inconvenient for me right now – I just want to vacuum.

My sister: (laughing) I don’t even know how to respond to that. When she gets older I’m going to tell her you thought it was inconvenient timing when she decided to enter the world.

Me: Well it is – I don’t even have breast pads yet!

That was pretty much the end of that conversation – she could see she was not talking me out of cleaning.

12 o’clock rolls around, my husband gets home, eats a quick lunch and off we go. I was starting to get anxious about my water breaking and me not having contractions when it dawned on me that I could have just peed. God Damnit – everything else has gone to shit during my pregnancy and now I may be losing control of my bowl moments! Oh this cannot be happening.

Check in at the hospital was fast they quickly got us upstairs and into a bed – that was the fastest they moved the whole time I was there. It was rush rush rush, wait. Pee into a cup – wait. Finally 2 hrs after I got there I saw a dr. She told me that my water did not break – Well thank god I thought! It took you two hrs to see me! She checked the baby and everything was right where it should be. Great news I thought – I really need more time to get ready. Then it hit me – shhhiiiittttttt I peed. My husband tried really hard not to laugh at me – it wasn’t the time. But my wonderful sister didn’t hold anything back. When I told her it was a false alarm she yelled – “YOU PEED YOURSELF!” Technically – but I seriously don’t know how – I haven’t done that in years! What started out as an excited and frantic morning turned into an embarrassing and uncomfortable afternoon. After all – have you had to tell your mother – in-law yet that your water didn’t break – false alarm, I just peed myself! I bet not!

0 comments:

Post a Comment